Timothy J. Furness, M.Ed., LCPC, LMFT, works with individuals, families, and couples on communication skills, personal development, and improved relationships. He consults and trains personnel for a wide variety of businesses and organizations throughout the area. Audiences find him to be an energetic, involved, and enthusiastic presenter who enjoys learning and growing with the people he teaches.
A graduate of Carroll College of Montana and The College of Idaho, Tim earned his Master’s Degree in Education with an emphasis in guidance and counseling. Since 1987 Tim has held various positions in counseling, teaching, and administration with The College of Idaho and Boise State University before moving into his full time private practice in 2002. He is a Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor and a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. Tim is past president of the Idaho Counseling Association and is a member of many professional state and national organizations. Tim is married to Susan Reuling Furness. Click here for more information about Susan Reuling Furness, LCPC, and LMFT.
As a therapist I am committed to providing quality treatment and helping you realize your personal goals. The counseling process is a mutual effort entailing respect, responsibility, and consideration. Your part is to help me understand your life situation, thoughts, and feelings. My part is to help you explore and discover; to problem solve; to find self-acceptance; to truly see and know yourself. In this way, we will together find those solutions that fit with your core principles and values. The changes you create result in more satisfying relationships, increased harmony in your home, satisfaction and fulfillment in your work, health and wellness in your life.
I will give you my full attention and energy when we are working together. And while it is impossible to guarantee any specific outcome, together we will work to achieve the best possible results for you. As my client, you and your concerns will always be treated with the utmost measure of confidentiality, dignity, and respect. Therapy is always endlessly fascinating for me. I approach the opportunity to work with you with a sense of wonderment at the story that will unfold.
I work with adults and families and my practice specialties include:
- Depression and Anxiety
- Conflict Resolution
- Grief and Loss
- Stress Management and Self-Confidence
- Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
- Childhood Trauma
- Parenting and Step-Parenting
- Personal Relationships
- Business Relationships
- Partner Relationship Issues
- Alternative Lifestyles
- Men’s Issues
Counseling services will be rendered in a professional manner consistent with the accepted ethical standards of the American Counseling Association and the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy. If at any time you have questions or concerns, please let me know. To make an appointment, contact me at 208-385-0888.
Marriage & Family Therapy
Timothy J. Furness and his wife, Susan Reuling Furness, provide a co-therapy approach to solution-focused marriage and family therapy. Meeting as a team with couples and families, Tim and Susan provide counseling that explores and resolves differences without gender bias. Their work with couples and families focuses on improving communication, resolving specific concerns, and enhancing the strength of your family system. Susan and Tim appreciate the unique and sensitive nature of family conflicts and agreements. Their work with you is individualized to meet your personal situation and needs. To make an appointment, contact them at 208-385-0888.
Consultation for Organizations and Businesses
Over the past decade and a half, Tim has been involved with many Treasure Valley businesses and organizations. Tim serves to improve workplace communication and build harmonious, productive work teams. Tim and his partner, Susan Reuling Furness, frequently work as a team to resolve organizational conflict. To make an appointment, contact them at 208-385-0888. Consulting services, listed below, range from short in-services to weeklong seminars.
- Conflict resolution and mediation for management or employees
- Teambuilding retreats and seminars
- Supervisory consultation
- Keynote presentations
- Staff retreats
Licenses and Certifications
- Licensed Professional Counselor, Coun-296 Idaho. (1990-1996).
- Licensed Professional Counselor Private Practice, LPCP-71 Idaho. (1996-2002).
- Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist, LMFT-40 Idaho. (since 2001).
- Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor, LCPC-71 Idaho. (since 2002).
- Practicum/Intern Supervisor for LMFT, LPC, LCPC Idaho. (since 2004).
- Counselor/Consultant Private Practice Jefferson St. Counseling & Consulting. Boise, Idaho. (2002-present).
- Practicum/Intern Supervisor Jefferson St. Counseling & Consulting. Boise, Idaho. (2004-present).
- Instructor Boise State University. Boise, Idaho. (1989-present).
- Counselor/Consultant Private Practice 8th Street Counseling & Consulting. Boise, Idaho. (1999-2002).
- Counselor Private Practice North End Center for Therapy & Health Resources. Boise, Idaho. (1993-1999).
- Instructor Graduate Studies, The College of Idaho. Caldwell, Idaho. (1989-1995).
- Practicum Supervisor Graduate Studies, The College of Idaho. Caldwell, Idaho. (1990-1995).
- Counselor Counseling and Testing Center, Boise State University. Boise, Idaho. (1989-1993).
- Coordinator/Advisor Graduate Studies, The College of Idaho. Caldwell, Idaho. (1990-1992).
- M.Ed. Guidance and Counseling, The College of Idaho, Caldwell, Idaho. (1988).
- B.A. Philosophy, Carroll College, Helena, Montana. (1983).
- American Association for Marriage & Family Therapists. Member since 2002.
- American Counseling Association. Member since 1987.
- American Mental Health Counselors Association. Member since 1987.
- Idaho Counseling Association. Member since 1987.
- Past-President, Idaho Counseling Association. 1995-1996.
- Idaho Mental Health Counselors Association. Member since 1987.
- EMDR Training:
- Level I (September, 1999).
- Level II (March, 2001).
- Marriage & Couples Training:
- A Scientifically-Based Marital Therapy: John Gottman. (October, 1999).
- Trauma & Addictions Training – 12-Step Model: Pia Mellody. (April, 1998).
- Mediation Training:
- 40 Hours Basic Mediation: Erickson Mediation Institute. (October, 1994).
- Advanced Mediation Skills: James Melamed. (August, 1995).
- Advanced Mediation Training: Randy Lowry. (October, 1995).
- Other Training:
- Brief Therapy, Solution-Oriented Therapy, Conflict Resolution, Family Therapy
- T. A. and Redecision Therapy, Marriage and Couples, Ericksonian Hypnotherapy
- Counseling Men, Counseling Victims of Sexual Abuse, ADD/ADHD.